Piney Creek School through the years
The very first school in Piney Creek was built in the early 1800's in a log cabin. As was typical of many early schools, this one room cabin was heated in winter by a large fireplace in one end and the crude furnishings consisted of split log benches for the students and a small hand made table for the teacher. By 1850, Piney Creek became a thriving community with stores, churches a Post Office and other small business establishments. The log cabin school house had been replaced by a two room building. Two teachers were required and worked under contract with community leaders. By 1900, the need for a larger and better school was recognized but construction did not begin until 1909. The land, materials and labor were all donated to construct a four room school on the site of the present New River Artisans rug factory, across from the present school building. When the building was completed, two other nearby schools were discontinued and consolidated with Piney Creek. In 1920, Piney Creek became the first accredited high school in the county. In 1924, the county purchased land across the street to permit expansion of the school facilities and in 1926, an Agriculture and Home Economics building was built on this site. Around 1930, several other small local schools were discontinued and consolidated with Piney Creek, including, McMillian, Mt. Zion, Rock Creek, Scottsville, New Hope, Rocky Ridge, and Turkey Knob schools. A shop building and gymnasium were added. In 1938, the old frame building which housed the Piney Creek School for almost three decades was torn down and a new brick building was constructed by WPA workers. During the 1968-69 school year, the gymnasium was destroyed by a fire and a new metal building was built to replace it. The class of 1967 was the last graduating class of Piney Creek High School, due to the consolidation of schools to form Alleghany High School. In the fall of 1977, construction began on the current building and students moved in during the fall of '78. Piney Creek School has carried on high standards throughout the years and continues to strive to acheive greatness through its' students and community.