Alleghany County Schools

Skip to main content
Mobile Menu
Please Create A Marquee
Mellisa Fitzgerald » JCPC Support Services

JCPC Support Services

What is JCPC?

The Juvenile Crime Prevention Council (JCPC) is comprised of a board of members that meet on a monthly basis.  The councils main duties are to survey available resources in order to address the needs of juveniles who are at risk of delinquency, prioritize risk factors for youth and community and determine services needed to address problem areas.  Each year, the JCPC develops and advertises a request for proposals (RFP).  As part of a continuation of services plan, Alleghany County Schools submits a proposal for funding. These funds provide treatment and counseling for Alleghany County Schools juveniles and their families.

JCPC Goals

The primary goal of the JCPC Support Program is to promote student success in the development of positive behavioral change, sound decision making skills and the development of positive social emotional skills needed to ensure personal and academic success. Our Support Service Program Counselor offers on-going support to our high risk youth both in the general education and special education settings as well as in the STAR Program, Alleghany County School's alternative classroom.  

Interpersonal and family skills and support are provided at the schools for both student and family members during and/or after school hours.  Families are supported in the development of strategies to promote accountability and supervision of youth.  Establishing a positive relationship with the family fosters the connection of the child and family to appropriate resources, including school personnel and county agencies.


Any youth (up to age 17) in Alleghany County who would be served by the county juvenile court counselor will be eligible for interpersonal and family skills and support through this service provided by the JCPC Board and Alleghany County Schools.  Referrals will also be taken from school administration, the Department of Social Services or other community agencies.