Updated: 4-24-20 Due to the Coronavirus the Alleghany County Preschool screening dates have been postponed until further notice. On Friday, April 24th Governor Cooper closed NC schools for the remainder of this school year. New screening dates will be set once Governor Cooper lifts restrictions. The main focus is safety and well-being of our children, parents and teachers. Parents will be contacted by phone to schedule a screening time when a new date has been set. If you change phone numbers, please call and ask to update your pre-k contact information. If you are a parent who didn't call and schedule an appointment for the original April screening, please call 336-372-4345 to be put on the list. Thank you for your patience as we deal with this unprecedented pandemic. It will be alright! Health and safety comes first for our families!
Welcome to Pre-K!
Alleghany County Schools offers preschool programs at all three elementary schools. Our programs are designed to prepare young children for success in school. Our pre-K teachers are all highly qualified to provide a developmentally appropriate education for preschool children.
- Be four years old by August 31st of the enrollment year
- Be a resident of Alleghany County
And one of the following:
- Meet the family size and income requirements set by the state of North Carolina
- Be a child of an active military family (proof of active enlistment required)
- Have an identified educational/developmental need
How to Apply:
Applications are available at the Alleghany Board of Education located off of Trojan Avenue or down below in the attachments.
Address: Alleghany Board of Education
85 Peachtree Street Sparta, NC 28675
All applicants must submit the following documents with the completed application to Alleghany Board of Education:
- Birth Certificate
- Social Security Card
- Immunization Record
- NC Health Assessment Transmittal Form completed by a doctor or Health Department
- Verification of income (Tax return preferred or one month of checkstubs from both parents/guardians)
- Verification of physical address (ex. electric bill). A cell phone bill or PO Box cannot be accepted)
- Insurance or Medicaid Card
Parents will be called at the end of July notifying them if their child has or has not been accepted into the preschool program.
Missey R. Weaver
Alleghany County Schools Preschool Director
Alleghany County Schools